Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

3 posters

W1 Torver - RELEASED

Nomad
    Nomad

W1 Torver - RELEASED - Page 4 Empty Re: W1 Torver - RELEASED

Post  Nomad Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:49 pm

Torver threw 3 GGs to set up a screen for himself against the advancing tide of Skeletons, but I didn't get any 14+s for wounds. The GGs real did act as Guardians. I tried to throw a few Skeletons as well, but could get any 14+s. The dice were brutally unfair . . . the Skeletons necromancied 16 out 18 times.

It was a weird match-up watching all my GGs advance a couple of spaces while 6 Skeletons move each turn. At the end of the game, Torver was surrounded by 6 Skeletons . . . with his defense he lasted a couple of rounds.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:07 pm

If Torver is the center-piece, then maybe Army builds would be something like:

Torver ... 130
    Granite Guardians x2 ... 200
    Stone Giant (Uncommon)(80) x2 .. 160
    Isamu .. 10
    = 500 Points

Of course, we need to make up the Stone Giants, but at 80-points they can be like Ice Troll Berserkers or even Concan. We could also make one a Unique Hero - so it is a pair of Stone Giant "Heroes" that inspire the Granite Guardians. But maybe making a 2nd figure to buff them is getting too complex.

He does seem fun to play but the GG's are so expensive for slow melee figures.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:28 pm

And it is funny that the Granite Guardians are rated at B- and the Fyorlag Spiders are C+.  

I think the Spiders are much better than the GG's because they are inexpensive and are super-fast.  

Other units ranked at B- or less:
    Spoiler:

So I think it is okay for Torver to be in the A to A+ range - since his primary "buff" is for the Granite Guardians.  He'd still be pretty awesome on a Lava board or throwing figures off of ledges like castle walls (if he could get up there).
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:33 pm

NAME OF THE TEST UNIT: Torver

THEME TEST: Are there are any powers or stats on the test unit card that do not accurately reflect the theme or likeness of what the character should be able to do? Also consider whether or not this character's powers should affect destructible objects.

PASS. All powers reflect the sculpt and the theme of Torver. His throw of a GG should provide a wound against a door (that is one big boulder), so I will reword the power to get rid of “enemy figure.” Basically how Derek had it.

FUN TEST: Was the unit fun to play?

PASS. Meh – Torver got himself killed by Stingers (about 12 attacks and 6 of those were where the Stingers had height, so he has some staying power). His throws weren’t that successful, but his real job of getting the GGs moving and to height paid off in the end game.

FUN OPPOSITION TEST: Was the unit acceptable to play against? Could it be considered annoying?

PASS. No problems here.

USAGE TEST: Were all of the powers on this card used, or at least usable?

FAIL. All powers were used, but I would like to drop the wound from throwing a GG from 14 down to 11 so that the wound roll is the same whether he throws an enemy or a GG. As is, I don’t think he is worth his 130 points. By dropping it, he becomes more of a threat. Very balanced otherwise. His real benefit is to get those GGs moving and that is difficult to put a point value on.

STRATEGY TEST: Does the unit offer any real strategy or interesting tactics to the overall game?

PASS. Torver brings the GGs to life! Which is a huge accomplishment. After playing him a couple of times, I’ve realized that he really gets in the way of his own GGs at times. I had markers a couple of times on GGs to get three attacks in, but the GGs are so slow, they couldn’t move around Torver to attack. There will be a learning curve on how to play him well and positioning with every move, every Gain High Ground, every Greater Gain High Ground is an important consideration. Which I think adds to the strategy.

BONDING TEST: Compare the unit card with all currently existing Bonding abilities. Are there any Bonding loops that do not stop appropriately?

PASS. No bonding loops.

SYNERGIES TEST: Think of all the current cards that would have synergy with the unit card. Are there any factors that could break the game by making a unit too powerful or too weak?

PASS. Having Warden in this army sure would have helped with those wasted OM on the GGs. I don’t think Torver makes the GGs too powerful. Tor-Kul-Na rolled terrible defense . . . Team Marro may have won.

POWER CHECK: When considering the test unit against all existing units (including released C3V and SoV units) and all glyphs, are there any powers that could be overamplified and break the game?

INCONCLUSIVE. The GGs got the Initiative +8 glyph and it really turned the tide the last couple of rounds. More playtests are needed.

DRAFTING TEST: Is this unit worth drafting?

PASS. Torver makes the GGs worth playing.

MIRROR TEST: Consider the test unit against itself. Are there any loops that would upset the balance of the Game?

PASS.

ARMY TEST 1

Did the unit perform adequately? What should be the unit's point value? Give a brief summary. [insert pass/fail, point value, and brief summary] Still need to play test and tweak a few things. Torver’s real benefit came from the Greater Gain High Ground. He threw 2 GGs, killing a Stinger on 1. He attempted to throw 2 Stingers, but could roll a 14 or higher. Torver killed a total of 80 points (4 Stingers) before falling . . . but he did get his GGs into the fray and to high ground for them to do their stuff with range and with height.

Map: Sirocco

Units:

Army 1: Granite Guardians x3, Torver = 430 points

VS

Army 2: Stingers x3, Nagrubs, Tor-Kul-Na = 430 points.

Rd 1. Torver charged up the hill on the right side on the first two OMs with the Guardians trailing behind. The Stingers climbed to height and blasted Torver for 2 wounds. One Stinger died.

Rd 2. Stingers kept firing down – two more wounds on Torver for a total of 4 and two GGs fell. Only 1 Stinger died, but they were starting to lose their grip on height. GGs kept plodding up the hill behind Torver . . . we was bearing the brunt of Stinger attacks.

Rd 3. Torver died, along with two GGs. 3 Stingers fell. The GGs finally got height on the hill and the +8 Initiative glyph. It was a bummer to see Torver die so early, but I put him in the direct line of Stinger fire. I must learn to play him better. GGs did get height because of Torver, so that is all good.

Rd 4. With the Initiative glyph and height, the GGs made quick work of the last 4 Stingers (who lost OM#2). And then on OM#3, three GGs used their range of 3 to hurl stones at Tor-Kul-Na. The GG’s rolled 2/4, 1/4, and 3/4 skulls for 6/12 – just as the averages would predict. Poor Tork, he did not roll a single shield in his 15 dice and died (he was seen crying in the locker room after the battle). A Grub did manage to take out a GG to close the round.

Rd 5. On the first OM of the round three Grubs were crushed and the game was over. Four GGs were left for a total of 133 points.

Final thoughts: I thought that when Torver went down, the game was over. Init+8, having all of the GGs on height, and 0/15 in defense for Tork turned the match around. Torver’s real benefit was getting the GGs into the action, so, even though he only killed 80 points worth I guess he did his job so that the GGs could do their job.

On second thought, I don’t think I’m going to change the roll for a wound to 11 from 14 after tossing a GG. It is too early. Plus, I’m thinking that the other Stone Giant unique hero (unique is my preference, I am not overly fond of uncommons) can give a 20-sider boost to Torver and the Greater Ice because they are both Dauntless. Just thinking.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:46 pm

Thanks for all of the battle reports and play-tests!!!!

Question: where you doing any Stinger "Drain" or just going with Range 5, Attack 3 - or 4 with height? Stingers are pretty awesome and I'm wondering if any Drain rolls helped to take Torver out early on.

And yes, I'm down for a Stone Giant Unique Hero to go with Torver. I have 2 of the Stone Giant ... so I can pass one along.

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:28 am

No attempts at Stinger Drain. I just couldn't get past the idea of potentially giving up 3 attacks from the Stingers, most of which were from height.

Derek and I gave Torver, Granitesx3, Raelin a spin against Nicholas, Thralls, Cyprien, Sonya. Very close battle, but Torver held on for the win. Using Torver's move to get the Granites in guardian mode around Raelin was fun and rewording. Nicholas was able to shred through it after a while, but Torver thumped him in the end.

I am pretty content with how Torver currently reads. I'll give him another play test or two. Any one else want to do some play tests with him? I will put up a card in the OP later today.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:58 pm

I really enjoyed what he brought to the table for the GG's and heroscape in our playtest. Seems really close. I would love to get some playtesting in although finding the time might be a little harder, hopefully early next week I can give him a proxy playtest.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:55 pm

Card front for Torver is in the OP.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:14 pm

Excellent job, good sir!! Glad that you got some playtests in : )

Greater Gain the High Ground
    If Three Squads of Granites reveal and OM and take a turn they move a total of 18 spaces (3 figures moving 3 = 9, plus all 9 moving 1 each = 9, so total of 18 spaces)

If Torver takes a turn and has Three Squads of GGs, then they move a total of 18 spaces (9 figures moving 2 each = 18).

Probably not perfect 'math' but I think it balances out as basically "Movement Bonding" for Granites. You'll probably get flak on Heroscapers.com that Torver's Throw is uber-powerful on Lava Maps, but he's priced higher than the Wyvern that has some similar options. I think he's in the Kaemon Awa class but I'm fine with that : )

Go Stone Giants!!!

Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:21 pm

Oh and take a look at Scytale's new custom Unique Hero.  His "March" special power is similar to Greater Gain the High Ground:

http://www.heroscapers.com/community/gallery/files/9/6/8/baran_krael_401573_original.jpg

Spoiler:
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:16 pm

THEME TEST: PASS.

FUN TEST: PASS. Just because you can move the Granites 2, should you?

FUN OPPOSITION TEST: PASS.

USAGE TEST: Were all of the powers on this card used, or at least usable? PASS. Torver threw 2 GGs for no wounds. Torver threw 3 out of 2 4th Mass, both died.

STRATEGY TEST: PASS. Torver almost makes the GGs even more difficult to play. You move Torver up, advance all of you GGs . . . now you have to either keep pushing or leave them pack against a ranged army like this one. Tough choices, very tough – especially on this map against this team. I’m going to replay the battle and try some different strategies. I like the options and how he makes you play them – the Greater High Ground Power is good, but I must remember that I can’t put the GGs out as fodder.

BONDING TEST: PASS.

SYNERGIES TEST: PASS. I played with Warden in this army. It probably was more of determent that a bonus because it caused me to push forward my GGs more than they should of, which enabled the 4th to pick them off. I’m going to replay and try a different strategy. Just because I can move more, doesn’t mean I have to (just reminding myself).

POWER CHECK: INCONCLUSIVE. Definitely not too strong on this map against this A- army. I will replay it . . . but I’m thinking that Torver might be a 120 point figure.

DRAFTING TEST: PASS. A little less so this battle – with the split map by water, Torver and his GGs split, which reduced his effectiveness. Different strategy next time.

MIRROR TEST: PASS.

ARMY TEST 1

Did the unit perform adequately? What should be the unit's point value? Give a brief summary. [insert pass/fail, point value, and brief summary] More play tests are needed. I would like to make the GGs with Torver competitive against an A- army. Points are fluctuating between 120 and 130 after this battle, but a rematch with a different strategy should prove conclusive.

Map: Mole Hills

Units:

Army 1: Granite Guardians x3, Torver, Warden 816 = 520 points

VS

Army 2: 4th Mass. Line x4, Charros, Eldgrim = 520 points

Rd 1. GGs head left and right of the lake. 4th do the same. A 4th dies, while the GGs defend two attacks.

Rd 2. GGs get Lucky 20 and Move +2 glyphs while the 4th start shooting from range. 2 4th die at the hands of GGs, but 5 GGs fall to the massive musket barrage from the 4th. I’m thinking that I’ve overextended the GGs at this point of the battle.

Rd 3. More GGs and more 4th. The GGs are overcommitted – charge or die. I’m not thinking the extra moves helped on this map – it is a shooting gallery. 2 GGs die and 3 4th die. It still does not fill like a victory in the round for the GGs – position favors the 4th.

Rd 4. Charros moves out to engage the last 2 GGs, who both die via counter strike. Very sad. Torver finally got into the action, killing Eldgrim and a 4th. Can a full life Torver and Warden beat 9 4th and a full life Charros?

Rd 5. OM#1 – Torver throws a 4th – dead. 4th Wait and Fire – 2/4 on all 4 rolls, Torver only rolls one shield in his 4 def rolls and ends up with 3 wounds.
    OM#2 – Torver kills a 4th (yes, he is going kamikaze). Torver dies on the first attack of ¾ from a 4th.
    OM#3 – gone for GG team, 4th set up on height.

Rd 6. Warden comes out to play and picks off a 4th. 4th and Charros charge ahead, but can’t inflict a wound.

Rd 7. Charros engages Warden, rolls 3/5 skulls . . . Warden rolls 1/7 shields. BATTLE OVER.

Final thoughts: As I said before, I’m going to replay this one. Dice weren’t hot for one side or the other, but the strategy for the GGs is a learning experience. Just because I have more move does not mean I need to leave height. This map favors pods of ranged figures, so it is going to be tough. Final Score: Team Torver 0, Team Valiant 292. Yikes!

If the next game isn’t competitive, I may consider dropping Torver to 120. He earned a total of 93 points in wounds and I think his Greater Gain High Ground actually hurt the GGs.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:39 am

I'm glad that you tested him and the GG's against an A+ army like the Minute-Men and Charos. That's a big challenge for any opposing force. And yeah, the Move glyph can be trouble for both armies : P

But with 6 Move ( 3 + Warden + Glyph ) I can see the Guardians zipping around and I would likely do the same thing if I had that much move.

We'll have to get in some more in-person play tests. You're back to school this coming week, right?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:42 am

THEME TEST: PASS.

FUN TEST: PASS.

FUN OPPOSITION TEST: PASS.

USAGE TEST: PASS.

STRATEGY TEST: PASS. Very different approach this game . . . depending on how you play them can make or break your battle. I tried something different and it worked! I’m not going to share the strategy . . . half the fun is figuring out how to play a unit. Needless to say, Torver and GGs can go either way depending on your strategy. I like it!

BONDING TEST: PASS.

SYNERGIES TEST: PASS.

POWER CHECK: PASS. I am happy to keep Torver at 130 after this battle.

DRAFTING TEST: PASS.

MIRROR TEST: PASS.

ARMY TEST 1

Did the unit perform adequately? What should be the unit's point value? Give a brief summary. [insert pass/fail, point value, and brief summary] PASS! I’m good with this play test and the strategy I attempted. With Torver, the GGs become very versatile. It is still a chess match with the GGs, but Torver with his auto shield can withstand many common squad attacks from range – getting the def +1 glyph helped.

Map: Mole Hills

Units:

Army 1: Granite Guardians x3, Torver, Warden 816 = 520 points

VS

Army 2: 4th Mass. Line x4, Charros, Eldgrim = 520 points

Rd 1. Does anyone read this? 2 4th died at the hands of Torver and the Warden.

Rd 2. Still reading? 1 4th died, Torver got 3 wounds while gaining Def +1 glyph.

Rd 3. 3 4th and 2 GGs kicked the bucket. After the first three rounds, all markers have been on 4th . . . and finally some go on the GG.

Rd 4. 3 more 4th die . . . Charros comes out to join the battle.

Rd 5. Fun times! Torver finally dies along with a GG. But, 3 4th die and a wound is placed on Charros. There has been a steady and constant barrage of Granites on the valiant team which has whittled them down.

Rd 6. The GGs throw 3 rounds of rocks down on Charros, killing the 9-life beast on the 3rd OM. A 4th also dies along with 2 more GGs.

Rd 7. All Wait And Fire for the remaining 4th. 2 GGs, 1 4th die. Warden charges in for an evisceraxe.

Rd 8. Warden evisceraxes the last 2 4th but takes a wound.

Rd 9. Only Eldgrim left v 2 GGs and ½ life Warden. Eldgrim wins initiative but fails to wound Warden. Warden puts him out of his misery with an axe attack. BATTLE OVER!

Final Score: Team Torver 111, Team Valient 0

Final thoughts: Got to play Torver and the GGs with care/finess/strategy to be successful. I am tickled pink with how this turned out. Yes, the +1 def helped immensely and the GGs rolled more than decent defense, but if Torver and GGs can win against an A- team on a shooting gallery map, then I feel that Torver is good to go. Please play test as you desire, but I’m ready to move to final editing with the stats in the OP, keeping Torver at 130 points.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:33 am

Sounds like you go "First Strike" on Round 1 against the 4th which is helpful : ) And yes, I'm reading your Battle reports - they rock! (pun intended)

I'm guessing that you moved the Warden out to have some longer-range strikes against the 4th Mass. He's actually pretty good for the sniper role, and maybe that opened up some holes in the Minute-Men's "turtle turret."

I haven't playtested Torver with these new stats but based on your reports I think 130 points is pretty good - because he's supporting a very low ranked unit in the Guardians.

If you think Torver is set, I'd be curious to see what you'd like to come up with for the other Unique Stone Giant. Maybe that custom can fill a slot where the Warden did (70 - 80 point range).

Great design and thanks for all the battle reports : P

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:26 am

Thanks for reading! I wonder how much detail I should put into the round-by-round descriptions and if those are helpful. Team Torver would not have won without the defense +1 glyph, but it is good to know that they can win against a very good army.

Yes - I will get to work on the other stone giant soon, but I think some play tests for other figures are in order first. I also have some ideas brewing on other figures we all have but that haven't been put out on customs table as of yet.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:30 pm

I do enjoy the detail of your reports. Sometimes I read them closer than other times (a peruse the first time followed by a closer read is usually the method). If you are content with no more playtests that works for me. I really liked Torver and what he brought to the table when we played him, and I am definitely looking forward to playing him some more.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:50 pm

Thanks for reading. I will continue with the detail of the round-by-round play test reports. It still doesn't capture the strategy and luck involved for the most part . . . but it does add legitimacy to the play test.

I'm happy with the play tests for Torver . . . but, I would prefer it if others give him a shot or two to let me know if I'm not seeing things right. If not, we can push ahead to final editing.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:22 pm

Kai and I got a play test in: Torver, GGs x3, Warden v. KoWx4, Gilbert, Dendrick, Eldgrim. The Knights won with a couple of hundred points left. The Knights controlled both the Attack and Unique Attack glyphs most of the game and it just proved to be too much - plus I was rolling 75% skulls in my attacks with the Knights. We both seemed to be settled that Torver is good to go.

I am going to move Torver to final editing unless there are any objections.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:18 pm

Here's a shot from our play-test yesterday : )

W1 Torver - RELEASED - Page 4 TorversMarch
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:16 pm

I was looking at C3V figs this morning ... since TORVER is a "Giant Hero" he also bonds with the Dreadgull Raiders, right?

http://www.heroscapers.com/community/gallery/files/1/dreadgul_raiders___master_original.jpg

I know he's designed for the Granite Guardians, but this adds some nice synergy with the Dreadgulls.  There is no "Bonding Loop" since Torver does not bond with Granites but it would allow Torver to go and then Greater Gain High Ground for the 'Guardians and then Dreadgulls to take a turn with just one OM.  Pretty sweet.

This could also help the future Stone Giant Hero that goes with Torver.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:05 am

Thats a pretty cool picture.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:42 pm

The first time I read the Dreadgulls card I thought it was any Giant as well . . . but it is any wild Giant, which is only Jotun. No bonding with Torver.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:59 am

I updated the OP by adding a bio and figure info. I have increased Torver's height height to 9, but it could be 10 (actual height of the figure, but do I count that rock he is getting ready to throw?)

I have reread the wording on the card a number of times, and I can't see any necessary changes and ways to improve it.

I'm not convinced that Greater Gain High Ground is the best power name. Gain High Ground Command? Decree? Gain High Ground Movement Bonding?

So - feedback on the bio and the power name would be appreciated.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:26 am

I wouldn't count the rock for height unless it is a hit zone.

Really like the bio.

per the wording;

BOULDER THROW
    After moving and before attacking, choose 1 small or medium non-flying figure adjacent to Torver. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher, throw the figure by placing it on any empty space within 4 clear sight spaces of Torver. After the figure is placed, you may roll the 20-sided die for throwing damage. If you roll an 11 or higher, the thrown figure receives 2 wounds. If the figure is thrown onto a level higher than the height of Torver or onto water, do not roll for throwing damage. The thrown figure does not take any leaving engagement attacks. If the thrown figure is a friendly Dauntless figure do not roll for throw or throwing damage. After placing the friendly Dauntless figure you may choose an adjacent figure or destructible object. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher, the chosen figure or destructible object receives 1 wound.
    The red parts seem a little redundent. If you have a choice do we need to clarify that dauntless friendlies you don't need to roll?

Maybe dauntless giants could replace Torver in Torvers gain ground power. How about Dauntless Height?

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:55 am

Yes - I noticed the redundancy in the Boulder Throw when it the current rewording was proposed, but didn't think it mattered too much.

How about?

BOULDER THROW
    After moving and before attacking, choose 1 small or medium non-flying figure adjacent to Torver. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher, throw the figure by placing it on any empty space within 4 clear sight spaces of Torver. You do not need to roll for throw if a friendly Dauntless figure is chosen. After the figure is placed, you may roll the 20-sided die for throwing damage. If you roll an 11 or higher, the thrown figure receives 2 wounds. If the figure is thrown onto a level higher than the height of Torver or onto water, do not roll for throwing damage. The thrown figure does not take any leaving engagement attacks. If a friendly Dauntless figure was thrown you may choose an adjacent figure or destructible object. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher, the chosen figure or destructible object receives 1 wound.

Derek wrote:Maybe dauntless giants could replace Torver in Torvers gain ground power. How about Dauntless Height?
    GREATER GAIN HIGH GROUND
    After taking a turn with a Torver, you may move all Dauntless Giants and all figures you control with the Gain High Ground special power up to 2 spaces each. These spaces may be up to 4 levels higher.

Is this what you had in mind? I am not sure what you meant about "How about Dauntless Height?"

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 1:11 am