Cryptic Alliance

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cryptic Alliance

Digital Domain for the Discussion and Discourse of Dungeons, Dragons, and other Distractions

4 posters

W3 Doggin Trackers- Released.

Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

W3 Doggin Trackers- Released. - Page 3 Empty Re: W3 Doggin Trackers- Released.

Post  Lord Kai Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:44 am

Nomad, Huskies16, and I got in a few play-tests with Dund & The Doggin this past weekend. Very cool design.

In one game, a pair of Trackers took down The Orc Warboss (Scarnak?) in two attacks (both attacks of 3 + 1 auto skull, going 8/8 put him down on Round 1). So they seemed ferocious but then in another game they were shot down fairly easily. Dund was his normal ineffective self (going about 1 for 5 in one game, but certainly being a threat/target for attacks). The Trackers were very effective on OM1 if they won initiative or when they isolated Bonding Heroes (like the Orc Champions).

I do think that 120-point is too expensive when you consider that you are teaming them up with Dund (who is power ranked very low at C-). I am thinking 90-points, which is a big drop and probably makes them A+ for some 'Scapers but I'd be okay with that. With Dund at 110 points + Trackers = 200 point investment in the "Crippling Gaze/Tracker Ambush" strategy. Maybe at 90-points they Move 6 instead of 7.

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:59 pm

I can see dropping the points as well. 90 might be a little low . . . more play testing is in order. There are plans down the road for another squad of Doggins that will get some bonuses from these guys, I believe.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:52 am

90 pts is pretty low for these guys and their potential, IMHO. Do we want to drop their move to 6 (matching Dund) and try them out at 110 or 100, or keep them at move 7 and try them at 110 for now?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:41 am

My vote would be to keep their move at 7 and drop their points to 100. After play tests, we could adjust. The move of 7 seems right for these fast puppies. In most of the play tests I've been a part of they've never seemed to get their points worth at 120.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:29 pm

NAME OF THE TEST UNIT: Doggin Trackers (we kept their move at 7 and dropped the points to 100.)

THEME TEST: Are there are any powers or stats on the test unit card that do not accurately reflect the theme or likeness of what the character should be able to do? Also consider whether or not this character's powers should affect destructible objects. PASS.

FUN TEST: Was the unit fun to play? PASS. Derek ran out with the Trackers and Dund first. He lost some Trackers to Thralls, but got Dund into position to roll for OM removals and into Damon’s startzone to kill Iskra before she had a chance to take a turn. They probably would have been more fun had Dund been able to roll well enough to remove OMs.

FUN OPPOSITION TEST: Was the unit acceptable to play against? Could it be considered annoying? PASS. They were very worrisome. With the disengage, a couple got into Damon’s startzone to punish Iskra before the Rechets joined the fray. The Thralls took them out, but Dund was close on their heels to create damage.

USAGE TEST: Were all of the powers on this card used, or at least usable? PASS.

STRATEGY TEST: Does the unit offer any real strategy or interesting tactics to the overall game? PASS. Numerous ways to play them. Having the Dund movement bonding made Dund feel like he was worth about 110 points – oh, I guess that is his cost.

BONDING TEST: Compare the unit card with all currently existing Bonding abilities. Are there any Bonding loops that do not stop appropriately? PASS.

SYNERGIES TEST: Think of all the current cards that would have synergy with the unit card. Are there any factors that could break the game by making a unit too powerful or too weak? PASS.

POWER CHECK: When considering the test unit against all existing units (including released C3V and SoV units) and all glyphs, are there any powers that could be overamplified and break the game? PASS.

DRAFTING TEST: Is this unit worth drafting? PASS. If I want to play Dund, I am playing these guys. If I am playing these guys, I am playing Dund. Down the road there might be some common Trackers to add to the fun.

MIRROR TEST: Consider the test unit against itself. Are there any loops that would upset the balance of the Game? PASS.

ARMY TEST

Did the unit perform adequately? What should be the unit's point value? Give a brief summary. [insert pass/fail, point value, and brief summary] INCONCLUSIVE. I am tempted to PASS them here as well, but I think we need more play tests to determine their exact cost. I think the stats should stay as they are. Derek was still seeing potential and was thinking 100 points might be too low.

Map: Bridging the Fields of Fire

Army 1 (Derek): Laglor, Dund, Krav Maga Agents, Agent Carr, Doggin Trackers, Vindicators of Vydar = 580 points.
    VS
    Army 2 (Damon): Rechets Of Bogdan, Iskra Esenwein, Preyblood Thrall x4, Deathstrike Thrall x4, Nicholas Esenwein, Brunak = 590 points.

Battle: This was an incredibly fun battle. The Thralls won with 74 points left, but was only able to pull it off after Nikolas killed all three Krav which rebirthed Thralls. Nikolas killed Laglor in one roll of the dice, but Agent Carr killed Nick in one roll of the dice – lots of skulls! The Trackers didn’t roll well with their attacks and were only able to take out a couple of Thralls on the way to Damon’s startzone. They did put a couple of wounds on Iskra before falling. Dund followed to take her out. They got just about their points worth in kills/wounds, but the big benefit was seeing Dund become a major threat (Derek was 1/5 in Crippling Gaze rolls – and the successful roll only removed an X OM).

Final thoughts: Keep all the stats and powers the same. Conduct more play tests. I could see them at 105-110, but lets keep testing at 100.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:48 pm

The Doggin Trackers had a win yesterday in play-tests, thanks to a 20 on Crippling Gaze from Dund on OM1 : )

Dund
    Doggin Trackers
    MicroCorp Troopers x3
    Otonashi

vs

Zard
    Runk
    Dog Rider
    Goblin Slashers x3
    Hornskull Brutes x2

Map:  Kodiak
    Spoiler:

Huskies16 was running the Goblin Brute play-test and it was looking rough for the Vydar team when the Slasher landed on a +2 Move Glyph. With Runk engaged they Goblins were moving 9 and the Brutes 8. Otonashi hit the Glyph of Lodin but she was quickly swarmed by the Goblins. The Goblins poured down the single column of shadow but the Doggin and Dund held them there. With the Goblins moving way too fast, the Doggin were hit unexpectedly and 2 went down at the start of Round 2. The lone survivor gave Dund a chance for Crippling Gaze but it the attempt failed.

Goblins were definitely winning out until Round 4. Huskies16 rolled a 20 for initiative and then so did I. We rolled off again, and Vydar won the re-roll. Dund activated OM1 and rolled a 20 to remove 3 OM's from the Slasher. The Troopers followed up with ranged and special attacks and cleaned up Goblins (especially the Brutes) and made it to height where they could. With 8 unopposed attacks, the battle completely swung to Vydar's victory in another round.

This was a good play-test of the Goblins with Brutes (2nd of the Day), but luck was with Dund and his Doggin buddies who rolled 5 times for Crippling Gaze but the 1 time it succeeded, it was a game-changer.

The Trackers were overwhelmed by the 9-Move Goblins and two were destroyed quickly. The orphaned Tracker Hound did not receive an OM again but Dund took over.

The one (weird) suggestion that came up for the Doggin Trackers was to buy another Unit Box and split them between us. We could then turn them in to a 4-member unique squad. That would give them more survivability and attacking power - and probably bump that back up to 120 points.

Confrontation: Creatures of Dirz - Syhar Sighthounds Unit Box (3)
    $18.00 at Miniature Market
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:09 pm

The Trackers have had at least a dozen play tests. I feel the stats and powers are good to go.

I could would be good with their points from 100 to 110 points. Derek can make the call.

I vote we move them to final editing.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:20 pm

Nomad wrote:The Trackers have had at least a dozen play tests. I feel the stats and powers are good to go.

I could would be good with their points from 100 to 110 points. Derek can make the call.

I vote we move them to final editing.

What about the idea of adding a 4th Doggin? or did you want to stay "as is" with 3-puppy squad?
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:11 pm

Oops, I forgot to mention it. Derek decided that since they come in packs of 3, he would like to keep them at 3 per squad.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:01 pm

I still have hopes of adding a doggin common squad down the road, and will consider tricky hunter option outside of the doggin, so I wouldn't mind leaving them at 110.  If both of you like 100 better I could go that way though, or even 105. Kind of unfortunate they don't come 4 in a box.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:15 pm

Derek S wrote:I still have hopes of adding a doggin common squad down the road, and will consider tricky hunter option outside of the doggin, so I wouldn't mind leaving them at 110.  If both of you like 100 better I could go that way though, or even 105.  Kind of unfortunate they don't come 4 in a box.

I am good with 100.

Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:48 pm

How about 105 as a compromise point?

I know all of my play tests have been with Dund and that there are 17 units in the Hunter class, I don't see the Trackers drafted in most army builds other than with Dund. It seems to me that one would rather do another squad of Quasatch, etc., or get a bonding hero. So, I'm good to move on.

My effort at final editing . . . only one suggested change to TRACKER AMBUSH in red below to more closely align to the language of the Repulsers, Cutters, etc.

DOGGIN TRACKERS

Figures- Confrontation, Creatures of Dirz, Syhar Sighthounds Unit Box

General: Vydar
    Planet: Feylund

Species- Doggin
    Unique Squad
    Class: Tracker
    Personality: Tricky
    Large 6

Life: 1
    Move: 7
    Range: 1
    Attack: 3
    Defense: 4
    105 Points

TRACKING
    After taking a turn with the Doggin Trackers, you may move 1 Tricky Hunter Hero or 1 Tricky Hunter Squad you control up to 6 spaces.

TRACKER AMBUSH
    When a Hunter or Tracker you control attacks an opponent's figure that has no revealed Order Markers on their Army Card and is adjacent to at least one Doggin Tracker you control, add 1 automatic skull to whatever is rolled.

DISENGAGE
    Doggin Trackers are never attacked when leaving an engagement.

If the change to 105 points and the language change in the second power is approved, I vote that we move the Doggin Trackers to FINAL.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:05 pm

We have one vote for making these guys FINAL.

Any other votes? Or thoughts?

Yes - I will change the card after we get the wording finalized.

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:38 am

Nomad wrote:We have one vote for making these guys FINAL.

Any other votes? Or thoughts?

Yes - I will change the card after we get the wording finalized.

I would prefer 100 points.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:07 pm

Updated the OP with most recent wording suggestions. I just don't see them being 100 pts and realize they are a bit swingy, kind of like the Ninjas of the Northern Wind who come in at 110. I think they are pretty comparable. I can live with 105 if we want to finalize them.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:59 pm

Derek, why don't you decide how many points they should be. I think we can all live with 110.
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:25 pm

With the goal of adding some tricky hunter squads down the road I'd say 110.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:02 pm

110 it is. I vote we make these guys final.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:09 pm

Redo of Tracker card - changed points, 2nd power, and adjusted the background so it wasn't so dark.

W3 Doggin Trackers- Released. - Page 3 DogginTrackersNWHC-1

W3 Doggin Trackers- Released. - Page 3 DogginTrackersBasicNWHC-1
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:10 am

looks beautiful.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:57 pm

A few errors on the card . . . see if you can find them.
    Lord Kai
    Lord Kai

Post  Lord Kai Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:00 pm

Nomad wrote:A few errors on the card . . . see if you can find them.

Tracker Hounds vs Doggin Trackers : P
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:06 pm

Noticed that as well and maybe no ' in opponents.
    Nomad
    Nomad

Post  Nomad Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:54 pm

OK, the card has been fixed - let me know if you notice anything amiss. The apostrophe stays in opponent's because it is possessive of figures. I also played with fogging on the images.

We need a bio and book done, and then I think the Trackers are ready for release.

W3 Doggin Trackers- Released. - Page 3 DogginTrackers.NWHC

W3 Doggin Trackers- Released. - Page 3 DogginTrackers.Basic.NWHC
    Derek S
    Derek S

Post  Derek S Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:01 pm

1st attempt at the bio for the Doggin Trackers. Input would be much appreciated.

Rare descendents of a time when the hounds roamed far and wide using the antennae arms on their back to direct their clan in battle, the most elite hunting hounds of Nullondia are the Doggin Trackers. Their antennae arms direct those that understand, and if the prey is attacked, often they are caught unaware, and unable to defend the onslaught.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 2:23 am